Growing up, I took for granted what the love of a father really was. I didn’t appreciate my earthly father, and definitely didn’t understand nor acknowledge the love of my heavenly Father: my Good Good Father. Sunday’s service was like no other Father’s Day service. Pastor spoke of the different categories that some fathers fall under. Despite the category we find ourselves in, whether we are like those who are lost and can not find their own way out, like those doing their part and being a true example of love, or like those being denied access to their loved ones, it is crucial that we reconcile back with the family but more importantly, back to our Good Father, the true Father’s Love.
This was a different perspective because never did I ever pray for what society calls “dead beat dads”. I didn’t think of the reasons that drove them to be that way. I never thought that perhaps there is a void that they do not know how to fill, and that maybe they just can’t give what they never had: LOVE. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, now I am an adult, growing in truth and wisdom. I now understand what it means to honor my father. I’ve chosen to accept love, to love and to trust completely in my Good Father, my Father’s Love. I’m confident in His love and in my ability to show that same love to others.
1st Corinthians 13:4-8 gives us the guidelines, tools and definition of Love. Replace the word ”Love” with: father, mother, or even your name, and see where you stand since He is Love, He is the standard that we should be measuring ourselves by: GOD IS LOVE AND IS A GOOD FATHER. like father like sons:
- Father endures with patience and serenity, father is kind and thoughtful, and is not jealous or envious; father does not brag and is not proud or arrogant.
- Father is not rude; he is not self-seeking, he does not provoke [nor is overly sensitive and easily angered]; he does not take into account a wrong endured;
- He does not rejoice at injustice but rejoices with the truth [when right and truth prevail]
- Father bears all things [regardless of what comes];
- Believes all things [looking for the best in each onel;
- Hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times];
- Endures all things [without weakening]. Finally, let us remember that ”Love never fails”, so father never fails…when unconditional Love never fades nor ends.
Genevive, June 26, 2022